Classic It's Ac: 2002-2003 Season
It's Academic is co-sponsored by social studies teacher David Swaney, who returns after a one-year hiatus, and English teacher Phyllis Fleischaker, a newcomer to the club. The pair replaces the husband-wife duo of Peter and Angela Engelmann, who had headed the club in 2001-2002.
This site is the primary place for any announcements,
discussions, and events relating to the It's Academic Club. Please look through this year's highlights, click on
underlined links, and participate in our extensive forum
system. Have fun!
* * *
The Wide World of It's Academic (2002-2003):
- Thanks to everyone who came out to the End of Year Academic Dinner on May 17 at the Rockville Pike That's
Amore. We hosted a turnout of 36 people, including students from 5 different clubs. Excess proceeds from the dinner
were dived equally amongst the treasuries of these clubs. To everyone who was in attendance, we hope to see you again
- Spring Knowledge Master Open took place on April 22. The competition features teams from every state in the U.S. as well as teams from South Korea, Poland, Singapore, and Uzbekistan! Blair placed in 3rd worldwide again, behind Thomas Jefferson (VA) and Dunbar (KY) of the U.S.
- Blair's A team won first place at the 3/29 Langley tournament out of a field of 32 teams. Many congratulations to Jared, Ming, Ning, and Magin. B team (Abhi, Sheila, Sareen, and Justin) also performed well, going 4-1 in preliminaries before being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.
- Blair sent two teams to the Freshman-Sophomore tournament on March 18. 'B' Team did well, going 3-3. 'A' Team did admirably, going 5-1 in the prelims, qualifying for the following week's playoff round where they finished second place to Blake HS.
- Blair's 'A' and 'B' teams both performed remarkably well at the 3/16 U-MD tournament,
with 'A' team going 10-2 to finish 3rd overall, and 'B' team ending at 9-2, giving Blair an impressive combined record of 19-4. Read the recap
- Blair lost in the Quizmaster taping on March 11 in a very close match with our arch-rivals Walter Johnson. The match was decided by only one question.
- Blair sent two teams to the March 8 tournament at Benjamin Banneker HS in Washington, D.C.
Read the recap
- Blair lost its second round TV match on the March 1 taping of It's Academic to James Blake High School. The A Team of Matt, Jared, and Magin came 2nd place, over J.E.B. Stuart HS. Congratulations, guys, it was a nice run.
- Blair's next It's Academic TV match will be held on Saturday, March 1 at the NBC Studios. Come out and support the team!
- Blair's 'A' Team had a terrific day at the tournament at Thomas Jefferson on February 8, 2003. They placed 2nd overall from a field of 76 teams! Congratulations to those members that participated.
- Look out 2003, here we come! On Jan. 7, Blair's A Team rang in the New Year with a convincing victory over Paint Branch 545-190 to win its first round match in the Quizmaster Challenge taping. Their next match will be in mid-Feb.
- The first KMO (Knowledge Master Open) of the year took place on December 4. Blair managed a score
of 1701, respectable, but not nearly enough to defeat Thomas Jefferson (1736) and Dunbar in Lexington,
Kentucky. Blair came 3rd place out of 858 schools who took the test worldwide! See all scores at KMO Results
- Blair sent two teams to the U-MD High School Invitational on Sunday, November 24. Read the recap.
- Blair scored big in the November 16 tournament at the University of Maryland. See the recap.
- Blair sent two teams to Kevin Keegan's tournament at James Blake High School on November 12. After going undefeated in the preliminary rounds, Blair 'A' returned for the November 18 playoff round and finished second overall, losing the championship to Walter Johnson.
- Blair sent one team to a tournament at Langley on October 5, and placed fourth overall. Congratulations to Matt, Jared, Magin, Minghui, and alternate Ning.
- Blair won its first It's Academic TV match of the year on September 28. Congratulations to Matt (C), Jared, and Magin for their impressive victory over Watkins Mill and Laurel! The game aired on TV at 10 AM on Saturday, October 26 on NBC. Click for picture
- Blair participated in the September 21 tournament at James Blake H.S., to which two teams were sent. 'A' Team
finished 3rd overall! See the recap